The International Society for Seed Science (ISSS) is a professional organisation of seed scientists committed to fostering and promoting research, education and communication in the scientific understanding of seeds by:
- Publication of scientific research on seed biology in Seed Science Research, the official journal of the ISSS.
- Co-ordination and organisation of conferences, workshops and more specialised meetings related to seed science.
- Publication of proceedings of certain ISSS conferences and other meetings.
- Sharing news and comment of interest to seed scientists and technologists, via online and other fora.
- Support for educational activities in seed biology, including courses, slide exchanges, web sites, etc.
- Establishment of prizes and honours for meritorious work in seed biology.
- Posting of job listings.
- Involvement in political and public relations activities affecting seed research and utilisation.