Job opportunity – Seed Physiologist, Monsanto, St. Louis
There is an immediate need for a Seed Physiology Research Scientist role in Monsanto’s St. Louis location. Do you know of anyone who might be interested on this role?
Contact:AMANUEL GHEBRETINSAE, (AG/1000) [mailto:email@example.com]
Research Scientist ( Job Number: 00KP8)
The Research Scientist is a diverse role focused on bringing innovations to our seed manufacturing processes in an effort to improve costs, capacity, and seed quality.
The role is about 70% research in that the individual will explore new technologies applicable to seed manufacturing processes. About 30% of the role requires the individual to transform ideas into projects and implement those projects.
The individual will work with highly talented professionals within Global Seed Quality, Seed Production Research, Seed Manufacturing Operations, Global Engineering, Crop Analytics and Automation, and Finance in an effort to bring innovation to our Seed Manufacturing Business processes.
– Defining, developing and implementing novel testing tools for Row Crop as well as Vegetable seeds that discriminate quality and predict end-use performance.
– Understanding how new Monsanto seed traits and seed treatment enhancements interact with quality testing and seed inventory management.
– Support discovery and key projects in Seed Research across row crop and vegetable species.
– Ability to manage general lab routine activities, maintenance and ISO and safety programs.
– Developing experimental designs, writing protocols, collecting data, performing statistical data analysis and writing reports.
– Working with others to develop innovative ideas into conceptual designs, prototypes, proposals, and helping to implement projects at seed manufacturing locations.
– Developing project proposals, including cost estimates and financial justifications.
– Performing feasibility studies to test new ideas or concepts.
– Assisting manufacturing leadership in identifying and implementing improvements related to productivity, capacity, cost, quality, and safety.
– Ability to supervise several bench scientists to help accelerate research.
This position reports to the Global Seed Research Lead, Monsanto. This position will also work closely with the larger group of Scientists in the Seed Technology organization to produce high quality results that are directly applicable for the improvement of seed production.
PhD in Seed Physiology, Biology, Chemistry or plant science related discipline or an MS in same disciplines and a minimum of 3 years applicable experience. Knowledge of seed production. Six Sigma greenbelt qualified or training or coursework in Six Sigma
Technical ability and experience with project management. Knowledge of statistical tools; experience planning and executing experimental designs and data analysis.
This position will require demonstrated skills in several areas including: seed quality, data management, statistical analysis, seed production, and process improvement.
The successful candidate will require the ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific journal articles, technical procedures, government regulations, and seed testing procedures, as well as train others.
Ability to write routine reports and business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Ability to speak and present effectively before groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public of visitors or colleagues.
Ability to define a problem, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to work with and often lead cross-functional teams as it relates to developing business strategy, long range planning, and project management in the area of Seed Manufacturing Business.
This position will also work closely with the larger group of Scientists in the Seed Technology organization to produce high quality results that are directly applicable for the improvement of seed production.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and reach with the hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and / or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.